The current flight tracking system the airport uses is becoming obsolete, especially with the advent of ADS-B. But in this writers humble opinion, the replacement need not cost a million dollars and require 250 thousand a year to support it.
After some poking around on the internet, I found a number of suppliers for commercial ADS-B installations. I got an order of magnitude proposal from Planevision Systems.. The installed cost for this system would be on the order of $35000, with minmal recurrent charges. An executive summary follows, for the full proposal use the link earlier in this paragraph.
The system offered is suitable for
● display of ADS-B 1090 ES and 978 UAT targets on multiple office computer displays (inside web browser), at KTRK or KTVL or other sites connected by internet
● optional display of FLARM technology targets (glider traffic)
● a customized display map showing local area, airspace and other details as required (stored on the receiver ot via internet)
● a display update rate of 1/sec or less often
● fusing data from the two receiver sites into one traffic picture
● enhanced and precise situational awareness for all participants (pilots, tower staff) within the aerodrome area, "for information only"
● traffic information for pilots about conflicting traffic
● QDM (heading) information for pilots towards the airfield
● no-fly zones intrusion control and visual/aural alarm in the tower cab
● pilot's support in distress situation
Rough-Order-of-Magnitude Pricing Information for 1 site (Non-recurring costs)
|1||ADS-B receiver 19" for 1090ES||3,500 $||standard price, discount may apply|
|1||ADS-B module for 978UAT||3,500||option, housed in receiver|
|1||Flarm module||3,500||option, housed in receiver|
|4||Antennas||included||1090ES, 978UAT, Flarm, GPS|
|4||Antenna cables 3/8", 100 ft||ca. 500||please procure locally in US|
|Surge protection equipment as required by local laws||ca. 500-2,000||additional jumper cables, lightning surge protectors etc., depends on existing installation|
|1||Map design (airspaces etc.)||500-1,000||according to customer requirements|
|1||Setup of intrusion control module with alarm||1,000||option|
|Miscellaneous remote support||100/hr||via phone or Skype, estimated 2 hours|
|Local installation support for antennas, network etc.||est. 65-100/hr locally||estimated 10 hours, can be done by airport staff or contractor in conjuction with remote support|